Launch - 02 June 2020
Nanocoat, a surface treatment, is unique in its kind because it has a fast-acting, long-lasting, antiviral, antibacterial and antifungal activity at the same time, even with frequent use.
A viral or bacterial infection is often caused by contact with an infected person or an infected surface.
In a joint effort between Sobinco, daughter company STA ( Sociedade Transformadora de Aluminios ) and the biogenetic laboratory of the university of Coimbra (Matera, Portugal) a surface treatment was developed to prevent the spread of viruses, bacteria and fungi via infected surfaces in public places.
Nanocoat is the registered trademark of an antiviral, antibacterial and antifungal surface treatment of aluminium
door and window handles. The treatment process and end-product is intellectual property (IP) protected.
Nanocoat is unique in its kind because it has a fast-acting, long-lasting, antiviral, antibacterial and antifungal
activity, even with frequent use.
During anodisation, a bioactive agent consisting of nanoparticles is dissolved in the finishing solution.
Upon direct contact with a virus, bacteria or fungus, the Nanocoat perforates the cell membrane and immediately kills it.
- Anodised aluminium pieces treated with Nanocoat were tested in an independent laboratory in Germany (Hohenstein Institute) and obtained the highest score in terms of antiviral activity.
- Wear assays simulating the operation of door handles were performed by the university of Coimbra. The antiviral, antibacterial and antifungal efficacy of Nanocoat was maintained.
- Unique activity: antiviral, antibacterial and antifungal.
- Immediate effect minimises the spread of infections.
- Can be applied on anodisation and can be exposed to light.
- Silica is one of the most common raw materials in the world. It is even used in the food industry. Unlike silver that was previously used as an antibacterial treatment, it is not a heavy metal and as such non-polluting.
- Unlike silver ion based technologies the activity of Nanocoat does not lose its power.
- No toxic material is released with frequent use, as is the case for silver ion based treated handles.
- Nanocoat does not penetrate nor permeate the skin.